Wilderness environments create special situations not usually encountered in an urban or suburban environment. When a person becomes injured or ill in the wilderness, the time and distance to traditional emergency medical services may be hours or even days. First aid providers in a wilderness setting will be faced with limited resources, will have to care for a patient for a much longer time period, and must make decisions about when and how fast to evacuate a patient. The goal of this program is to provide learners a valuable and enjoyable hands-on training in wilderness first aid. The fundamental objective is to teach a simple, practical approach that helps students develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence to respond to and care for an injured or ill person in a wilderness environment for an extended period of time.
This program is for in-person training, with no online or blended portions. Students will receive a printed book and a paper certification card with the successful completion of this course.
Any individual that wishes to become trained in care for injuries and illnesses while in remote areas, where emergency medical aid is significantly delayed. This program meets Boy Scouts of America Wilderness First Aid Curriculum and guidelines.
RECOGNIZED CERTIFICATION PERIOD
Certification is valid for up to 1 year
Our Wilderness First Aid class is an extensive 16-hour program. We have a variety of flexible scheduling options to offer. Group discounts are available (please inquire if interested in receiving a group quote).
Wilderness First Aid
- Training for wilderness emergencies
- Patient assessment
- Preventing and caring for injuries (shock, wound care, burns, bone injuries and splinting, joint injuries, head and spinal injuries, eye and facial injuries, chest and abdominal injuries)
- Environmental hazards (heat exposure, hypothermia, frostbite, drowning, altitude sickness, lightning strikes)
- Biological hazards (contaminated water, mosquitos, ticks, bees, wasps, spiders, venomous snakes, hazardous mammals, hazardous marine animals, hazardous plants)
- Medical problems
- Wilderness first aid kits